The Burka Machine: technical over-view

Friday, July 31, 2009




Hardware: arduino board, ultrasonic distance detector, projector, speakers
Software: processing, arduino alpha 0015


Technically I have to admit I had to face a lot of drawbacks.

-The space I had to work with was quite challenging since my detector was not 007-perfect, and the narrow hallway walls kept coming in the way.

-My system was rather slow in respect to the memory my program was using. It was H-O-T that day, and even more hot in my thick black-fabric lined space, and it was effecting the working of my system, as it would automatically shut-down after the fan quit o_O

-Although some effort was made to heal this, the system still kept getting jammed every 2-3 hours and had to be restarted =(

-The gallery was also not very compromising: weak ceiling didn't let me hang anything from it, and the oh-so-special walls were not to be touched.

-Had to build extra wooden structures to close ends off with fabric as I really wanted a dark interior. Shortage of money and a huge window on one side ... not very amusing!

-AND on the other side of my installation was the "special" space for performances, so mine had to be kept quiet for a while.

hmmm ... what else?!?! I'll make sure to write each down as I remember!

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails